Sunday, December 29, 2013

In the Shade of the Family Tree

"In The Shade of the Family Tree"
     
All the names on these pages,
it's hard to believe,
that hundreds of people
are related to me.

Grandmas and Grandpas,
Uncles and Aunts,
Cousins, more cousins
Me? Stop? No, I can't!

Germany, Canada,
Scotland, and France
All came together
Just out of chance.

To think that I started
with just a blank sheet.
Now put end to end,
the tree measures in feet!

Volumes of info
gathered up from the past,
saved acid free
'cause I want it to last.

It's possible that
there have been some mistakes
but all of these names,
why bother to fake?

I'm hoping some day
some ambitious descendant
will cherish my volumes
so glad that I've done it.

I can't help but think that
if everyone did this
we'd find, none too soon,
we have very few differences.

Please, listen to me
don't leave it to fate.
Gather much from your elders
before it's too late.

--March 9, 1999
Author: Julie Quick

No comments:

Post a Comment